Re: [nafex] Mist Propagation Alternatives

At 04:16 PM 01/31/2001 -0500, Tom O. wrote:
>How long does you willow water need to steep?
I was under the impression(though I have no scientific basis to back this
up) that within a couple of days, if not sooner, the willow twigs would be
elaborating their rooting hormone - don't know if it's IBA, IAA, or some
other auxin.

>Is water warmed at all, or kept cool?
I just keep it at ambient temperature.

>Should it be kept out of sunlight?  I think sunlight breaks down
>the IBA hormone.
It's sitting out on the plant table in the sunroom(kind of a misnomer, 'cuz
it actually faces NE - doesn't get any direct sun except very early
morning) - I'm trying to get a couple of twigs of Amelanchier alabamensis
to root, but don't know how they'll do, as they were collected in mid-Dec.
I hadn't considered the possibility of UV degradation.
Sometimes, during the summer, I keep a couple of 5-gallon buckets of willow
twigs steeping - seems to help revive some plants, even after I've let them
get pretty badly dessicated, if I get too busy to keep everything in
containers watered.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY