[nafex] Rooting Prunus

Hello All,

I just got word that my winter dormant prunus cuttings are on their way, and I want to review the rooting steps I have found for prunus with you.  If I have made a mistake please let me know.  I have gleaned this specific steps from various areas of the web and your suggestions;

Rooting prunus;

1)  Sterilize cuttings in bleach solution.  I am using a
     moderate solution of 2 drops of bleach to a cup of
     water.

2)  Cuttings should be trimmed to 15cm in length.

3)  Basal end should have a small 1/2" amount of bark
     removed from one side of cutting.

4)  Treat basal ends with rooting hormone.  Rhizopan
     makers of water saluable ABA suggests 1/2 a tablet
     in 1 liter of water (weak solution) and soak for up
     to 12 hours (weak solution, long soak) for dormant
     prunus.

5)  Rooting medium is 50% perlite and 50% vermiculite.

6)  In damp rooting medium poke a hole deep enough to
     accomodate the cuttings except for the top three buds.

7)  Before inserting cuttings in holes put 1/8th tsp of mycorrhiza
     fungi into hole.

8)  Insert cuttings into rooting medium and firm in (not too firm).

9)  Place cuttings in humidity chamber with bottom heat of 70F.
     (misting system if you have one)

10) Heep humidity up and air temp down around cuttings.  Since
      the bottom heat raises the temperture in the humidity chamber
      I will be putting 4 (2 liter) bottles of frozen water in the chamber to
      reduce air temperature.  Replace frozen water bottles daily (thank
      goodness I have lots of empty pop bottles and a big freezer).

11) Mist cuttings daily with weak chlorine solution (1 drop bleach to
      1 cup of water. (very small drips).  This acts as a mild fungicide

12) Keep rooting medium damp till they root.

Please keep in mind that rooting the cuttings is my only option at this time, and I am only looking for comments on the process for rooting prunus cuttings.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Tom
--