[nafex] Tip Bearers

Nell:
    I can only address the varieties I have and have actually observed,
but my Albemarle Pippin (aka Yellow Newtown), Foxwhelp, and Calville
Blanc are out there right now with little clusters of fruit at the tips,
in addition to the notorious Early Cortland.  Jonagolds, Spigold and
Freedom also seem to tend that way.  Oddly enough, Cox's Orange and E.
Spitzenberg, also generally regarded as "antiques", have extensive spur
blooming all up and down the interior branches, and they are still quite
young trees.  So I would have to say there is no hard and fast rule, but
I am also inclined to believe there may be quite a variation among
different clones of the same named cultivars.  In other words, you don't
find out until you find out.  I have two young Ashmead Kernels, and am
hoping they don't go down the tip bearing path.  In my orchard, the
champ for blooming young and all over the tree is Braeburn, followed
closely this year by a young Shamrock.  Empire seems to bloom reliably
all over the tree.  What are you thinking of planting?.

Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM