Re: [nafex] Italian Plum

Tom,

In my experience, Italian Prune is poor at branching in early years. It is also
very slow-to-bear and I even question whether it is self-fertile (as books say)

Stanley is early-to-bear, branches well, and is self-fertile.

I think the Italian Plum has the best flavour of all the plums I've eaten, but my
tree is five years old and has yet to produce a plum.  It had blossoms at four
years of age, but no plums (? self-fertile).  This year is has hundreds of
blossoms, but I'll have to see if I get fruit.

I have a four-year-old Early Italian which has not fruited yet ... it has a few
blossoms last year and many more this year.

I have about six other European plums in same area blooming at same time so I
should have a pollenizer, and I have lots of Blue Orchard bees plus some
honeybees.

These plums have the advantage of flowering late so they miss most of the spring
frosts.

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase  email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove,  B. C.,  Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Home web page  http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
:
... They had two varieties 1) Stanley, and 2) Italian.  The Stanley's had good
: lateral branching, but the ones labeled Italian just seemed to be a huge whips,
1" diameter trunk, and about 8' tall.  Is this normal behavior for an
: Italian plum?

: : Thanks,
: Tom
: --