[nafex] Italian Plum

Hello,

I was at a small nursery yesterday and was looking at the plum trees.  They had two varieites 1) Stanley, and 2) Italian.  The Stanley's had good
lateral branching, but the ones labeled Italian just seemed to be a huge whips, 1" diameter trunk, and about 8' tall.  Is this normal behavior for an
Italian plum?

I am looking for a good black or red plum that will be hardy in Canadain hardiness zone 6a.  Both of the above are blue plums.

I had to laugh at how poorly the fruits were labeled.  One tree just had a siingle tag which read "apple".  Those that did have labels had no
information regarding growth habit, or fruit quality.

Fruit is becoming a smaller and smaller niche in the nurseries.  This should help bolster the nurseries that deal exclusively in fruit, but it is a
real shame.

Thanks,
Tom
--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Canada

for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM