Re: [nafex] graft growth/grow tubes

In my short season zone 3/2 climate, I've conducted an experiment on graft
growth for apples on Ranetka rootstock this year.  There were four
variations of graft care, and all were on 2 year Ranetka that was cut off at
ground level and grafted with a bark graft.
        1/ graft growth on 2 year Ranetka, moved into a permanent position
in the orchard at green tip, 1 foot of growth this summer.  Clearly moving
the tree slowed the growth of the graft the first year while it set more roots.
        2/ graft growth on 2 year Ranetka, moved into a permanent position
in the orchard at green tip, but put into a 2 foot "grow tube" (a 4 ft. tube
cut in half, and staked), 2 1/2 foot of growth this summer.  The grow tube
obviously created a better environment for growth of the first year shoot by
elimanating wind and increasing heat.
        3/ graft growth on 2 year Ranetka, left in place, no grow tube, 3
ft. of growth.  The established roots tripled the growth of the graft/new
tree vrs. the trees that were moved and had to reestablish a better root
structure.
        4/ graft growth on 2 year Ranetka, left in place, with a 2 ft. grow
tube, 4 ft. of growth.  The best growth in my experiment of the newly
grafted trees came with this combination.  The graft had the best of all
worlds, a mature root structure to feed it and a grow tube to increase the
greenhouse effect.
        It is important to take the grow tubes off after the first hard
frost, or else the whip will start to grow too early in the spring and be
damaged by cold.  I also pruned the whips to elimanate branching.  I've
noticed second year growth is about the same for all 4 of the above
variations, about 2 to 2 1/2 ft regardless of the first years method.  I
mean by this the one foot tall tree at the end of next years growing season
could be expected to be 3 1/2 to 4 ft. tall, and the 3 ft. tree could be
expected to be about 5 to 5 1/2 ft. tall. It is only in the first year that
a difference is seen.  I only use grow tubes the first year as it doesn't
seem to help a larger tree to have the bottom 2 ft. of the trunk in a tree tube.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton Alberta

At 02:23 PM 8/24/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Thanks for the information on the cambium being the only
>support to the healing graft.  It explains a lot for me.
>
>Quick question...  What is the expected amount of growth
>from a graft it's first season?
>
>I have one graft I am watching in particualr.  The rootstock
>was about 1/2" diameter sapling, and the scion was about 6"
>long, with about 1/8" diameter.  The scion has grown 4 feet
>in height this season, and the diameter has reached 1/2".
>
>Compared to my other grafts this one needs to be wearing
>blue tights with a red cape!
>
>What is "normal"?  (realizing there is no normal, what does
>experience say)
>
>Regards,
>Tom

>4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting and

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/zoU8wD/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM