[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Introduction to SADP Nepal, help needed
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SANET-MG] Fwd: Introduction to SADP Nepal, help needed
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:24:21 -0400
From: Jeff Gold <jgold@NETROVER.COM>
Himalayan Greetings from Nepal
Nepal is a mountainous country with plenty of natural beauties and an
agriculture-based economy with about 85 % population dependent on
agriculture. About 80 % of the population survives as agriculture
laborers. About 72% people are in the rural areas of the country. A
significant part of the population is dependent on this sector, which
remains a backbone of the country's economy. In this situation it cannot
be taken for granted that the overall development of the country is
possible without the development of this sector. The development of the
farmers is not possible without the development of this sector and the
purchasing power of the farmers cannot improve until the conditions of
the farmers improve. In the absence of improvement in the purchasing
power of the farmers, due to the indirect impact on the demand for
industrial outputs, the industrial development is also hindered. The
fact that other various sector will be affected directly or indirectly
cannot be denied. For all the above reasons, there is an urgent need for
improvement in the agriculture sector. However, the following factors
are responsible for the backwardness of this sector.
* Traditional farming practice,
* Fragmentation of agricultural land,
* Lack of irrigation,
* Lack of adequate technology & skill manpower
* Dual ownership in land,
* Lack of timely provision of improved seed and fertilizers,
* Absence of well organized agriculture market,
* Un utilization of public and private land,
* Non-participation of private sector in Agro & Agro Forestry
The population is increasing day by day. But the fertile land has been
changing into residential area or industries due to the rapid growth in
population. If it continues there will be no place for growing crops. It
is a great threat to the human being. The disorganized agricultural
activities are also a serious problem in Nepal. The vast area of land
is misused. However the major issue in this sector is lack of skilled
and qualified manpower and appropriate technology. The great effort of
Nepalese farmers has become fruitless. Still, we can find the large
area of land uncultivated and unutilized. It is felt out the necessity
of implementing planning policy immediately in this regard. In the
absence of concrete vision and policy, the existing agricultural
entrepreneurs are also facing great problems. In the other hand, there
are no such better situations created to exist as private entrepreneurs.
The farmers have been doing hard labor but they are compelled to live in
miserable condition. Least organizations are found working for farmers.
Some of the private organizations have been successful to produce high
yield by using chemicals. The environmental impact on human being as
well as other creatures is neglected. If we do not become timely
conscious and create aware, the situation will be beyond the control and
a great threat to the human existence in this world. Necessary steps
must be taken immediately for preserving environment and its creatures
by supporting (institutionalizing) organic farming globally. Our
initiative actions in this regard can be recognition for the future
generations. The whole world has to work hand in hand to uplift this
holistic view of SADP- Nepal.
By our consideration, we have concluded the necessity of implementation
of the following points.
1. To create public awareness about the bad impact of disorganized
2. To formulate concrete planning policy for the betterment of
farmers and farming or to reduce poverty through agriculture.
3. To encourage private entrepreneurs to establish training
institutions and dissemination of qualitative seeds.
4. To implement micro finance loan policy to uplift the grass root
5. To manage the fine networking of marketing system.
6. To encourage farmers to apply modern technology by not
overexploiting natural resources.
7. To implement organic farming gradually and manipulating the old
methods in the right way.
8. To introduce the importance of organic agriculture to the people and
Sustainable Agriculture Development Program, Nepal (SADP - Nepal) is
working for the promotion of agricultural production. This organization
highly emphasizes on organic based agriculture. There is high
potentiality of organic farming in Nepal. It is in the primary stage in
the lack of knowledge and advanced technology as well as organic
fertilizer. We have been utilizing the local resources to provide
maximum profit for the local farmers and people. Our intensive programs
are dedicated for pioneering organic farming and biodynamic. For this
purpose we have established a demonstration organic farm which is under
construction. Our efforts continual effort certainly will be
materialized someday. Therefore we seek your peer assistance in this
It will be of great value, if your guidance provided in this regard. Our
concern is to promote organic farming in the nation wide in sustainable
way. If your organizations help us in this regard we are highly
encouraged to apply our effort for the development of organic farming,
biodynamic and permaculture in the more systematic and advanced way. We
deserve any kind of help from organization like yours. We do hope that
your small contribution may bring vital change in this field.
We are expecting your constructive, supportive and creative ideas
towards the development of sustainable organic farming in Nepal.
Ramesh Nath Sharma
Post Box No. 220
The aim of this organization is to work with national and international
people and organization, which carry same principles and beliefs.
1. To create awareness among the local farmers about the positive
impact of permaculture & organic farming.
2. To encourage farmers for the utilization of local resources and
making alert about the long-term effect of chemical use on
environment, human health and animal welfare.
3. To co-ordinate with national and international organizations for
the propagation of permaculture & organic farming.
4. To run specific classes literacy classes for the illiterate farmers
and their family to build up analysis capacity.
5. To encourage farmers adopting integrated farming system bringing
radical changes in traditional agriculture method.
6. To initiate micro-finance system among the farmers by managing
group funding to eradicate the poverty.
7. To provide training & develop knowledge and skill maintaining
8. To work on Food Security program.
9. To encourage for the preservation of local seeds.