Re: [compost_tea] Defining what is compost tea exactly

I would call Soil Soup putrfying tea, at least every time it goes stinky, smelly.  With the people I have tested with, that is most of the time.

When I walk into a garden store, and you can smell the Soil Soup from the other side of the store, is there any question what that should be called?

Do these garden shop and nursery people just not understand that if it stinks, it is likly bad stuff?

If you do other things than what the manufacturer directs you to do with the machine, you can improve the machine amd make decent compost tea with the thing.  That's what Frank Teuton does with his machine, I expect.  It isn't right for people to say they use a machine after they have tweaked and changed the machine so it isn't really that machine.

The cost of the improvements on the Soil Soup machine that I have seen that allow it to not result in stink and smell cost about as much as the initial KIS brewer or the Alaska Giant brewer.   So, ah......hum.

I agree that the Soil Soup nutrient mix is better used just as a nutrient application.  But I hesitate to recommend their nutrient mix for use in other tea machines.  They have not tested the nutrient mix for what biology it stimulates, so you are playing with fire on that too!  I think it is probably good stuff, but.....

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY