Re: [compost_tea] Re: Filtering ACT

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:47:25 -0700 (PDT)

Alex I have roofing company that sprays 12 gallons a minute, thousands of gallons a day of a heavy water emulsion. It MUST go down in an even pattern, At the hose end we have perhaps 150 psi, maybe more but the emulsion does not break up easly so high pressure is essential. There are enough lumps and clods in the emulsion to hold up a 7 man crew terribly if the spray system was affected by such crap. HOW do we manage that situation?

We use a straight ahead or curved approach of fluid to nozzle. The nozzle is an 1/8th inch hole straight ahead. GET THIS Across the face of the hole there is a v cut. It forms an even fan shaped spray pattern that at 4 feet is about 4 feet wide.

ACT is much thinner. Will break into the pattern with lower pressure You will need and can live with a smaller than 1/8 inch hole. These nozzles are available in agricultural and paint machinery outlets. Avilable in aluminum, brass, steel, stainless and even in very hard alloys. Brass would hold up in ACT for eons. Steel may be better. You can get nozzles that reverse with a flick of a lever that blows crap out of the nozzle if something is to big to pass. None of this is expensive.

Take care in brewing to keep the compost out of the ACT. Bacteria and soft lumps of bacteria / fiber stuff that will go thru the screen of most brewers will go thru this type nozzle . Forget the paint strainer. It takes out what you are there to put in. Bob

alex de mello <xela_at_netgate.com.uy> wrote:
bob: what I've eventually done, is to unscrew the nozzle and take out the inner filter, and I kinda hose the plants; rather than larger droplets, it is a continuous stream... and I'm not a happy camper about it either, cuz it wastes too much ACT in the process of covering 70% of the plant as recommended.

on the other hand, IMHO,even if I use a larger nozzle I can't leave out the inner filter, since in due time the nozzle will become clogged, and it is very difficult to rinse...

<Have you tried using a larger nozzle? Big drops may survive better. Use more ACT, add more <water, run faster, filter less of the good stuff out. Bob

alex de mello
alexdemello_at_galea.com.uy
http://www.galea.com.uy

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor