[compost_tea] Mesh & Microns

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 16:33:36 -0700

Mike H said something recently that I heard here before and have experienced
as confusing - that mesh and microns are the same.

> Filtration sytems are usually 100 mesh (100 micron) this is very
> fine and will filter out Fungi that has been allowed to grow out to
> reasonable size. <
Apart from wondering about this assertion, I guess I'd also suggest 100
micron fungi are pretty big in tea... Unless I'm mistaken, 3.5 micron fungi
are a good sign in both compost and tea. They get a lot bigger in compost
and especially in ground. If you can lodge them alive at that tiny size
you're doing well, hmm?

As it happens, I also met a high tech filter guy yesterday who has mucho
years of business experience. He said "mesh and microns are inversely
related." Frank once pointed us to a great metal filter site,
www.twpinc.com, where there's a mesh calculator that suggests the same
notion. Great metal filters, too, by the way.

Anyway, what the heck is the relationship between "mesh" and microns? I
found what I think is a super CT nylon filter fabric. 600 microns, called
"about 30 mesh." But should I go for the 400 micron 40 mesh? I still have
no conclusive idea how mesh and microns relate, actually, because the size
of the thread or wire still doesn't seem to be sensibly included, which
seems fundamental to filter openings and "mesh" numbers. I'm still confused
but convinced microns and mesh are definitely not the same thing. Can
anyone help here?

-- Kirk

ReplayTV: CNet Ranked #1 over Tivo!
Instant Replay & Pause live TV.