[compost_tea] sodium benzoate was Re: Fruit Club Update

From: tomjasz <tom_at_livesoil.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 01:26:39 -0000

>--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Jason Kimm" <jsnkmm_at_i...> wrote:
> Hey Tom,
>
> I don't know if you remeber our meeting in Corvallis last Nov. with
Bruce. In any case I do have experience using non preserved Yucca
extract from Desert King. It is a 50% concentration product. They
make it special order only as they normally include Sodium Benzoate.
Unfortunately I have never tested my tea after the Yucca is in
because I never add Yucca until the tea is in the application rig.
The biggest concern for non preserved Yucca is how long it will
store. I have stored my unpreserved for at least 8 months with no
problems. I order it in 5 gallon pales but they also ship in 1
gallon containers. They will not ship in 50 gal drums because of the
risk of spoilage. The key is to keep the lid closed and don't pour
material back into the source container. I hope this helps and
provides additional resources for those who are interested. I agree
with you that the small amount of Sodium Benzoate in a large volume
of CT is not a problem; but for the same cost if we can avoid it,
why not?
> Regards,
Ø Jason Kimm

Hey Jason!

(Somehow I missed this post!!)

Yes I clearly remember. You and Bruce were gobbling up some dead cow
at dinner in Corvallis!! It's especially nice to here from a front
line user with successes!!!

I've a couple of questions…. When you say 50% concentrate do you mean
50% sapponin or 50% yucca extract?

Unfortunately I've been unwilling to risk the loss of material from
spoilage. Since I have hundreds of acres less than you farm, even a
single gallon lasts quite awhile. That being the case I'm willing to
use products with small amounts of preservative. (Often less
preservative than in most shampoo, and safer chemistry to boot! IMHO)
as I understand it the preservative used is only active at a pH of
4.5. We use water at 7.8-8.2. I agree anytime we can avoid any
preservative it's far better. My concern here is for the many smaller
brewers that would use very small quantities. Saponyn has been
written about as being among the highest quality yucca extracts and
I'm certain it has preservatives. Highland Soil and Water uses that
product regularly in the brew and has some of the highest AF and TF
results I've ever seen posted.

tomj

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511