Re: [compost_tea] sodium benzoate was Re: Fruit Club Update

From: Jason Kimm <jsnkmm_at_in-tch.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 20:08:48 -0600

Hey Tom,

I don't know if you remeber our meeting in Corvallis last Nov. with Bruce. =
 In any case I do have experience using non preserved Yucca extract from De=
sert King. It is a 50% concentration product. They make it special order =
only as they normally include Sodium Benzoate. Unfortunately I have never =
tested my tea after the Yucca is in because I never add Yucca until the tea=
 is in the application rig. The biggest concern for non preserved Yucca is=
 how long it will store. I have stored my unpreserved for at least 8 month=
s with no problems. I order it in 5 gallon pales but they also ship in 1 g=
allon containers. They will not ship in 50 gal drums because of the risk o=
f spoilage. The key is to keep the lid closed and don't pour material back=
 into the source container. I hope this helps and provides additional reso=
urces for those who are interested. I agree with you that the small amount=
 of Sodium Benzoate in a large volume of CT is not a problem; but for the =
same cost if we can avoid it, why not?
Regards,
Jason Kimm