Re: [compost_tea] Re: Re: ...compost tea Oxygen levels

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 03:59:48 -0400

You really need to ask Bob if the research design was sound. I was not privy to his design. He ran the teas here at SFI, but he didn't ask me about the tea mixes he was running.

When I'm doing a three day course, teaching some 30 people about the foodweb, I don't tend to be able to focus on research designs. Sorry.

Maybe Bob could go back over the precise brews that he did. I understood that there were three different runs, with three different sets of brews. So, one day there was one compost used in all three brewers, but with three different food resources. There was another run with three different composts and fish or kelp used. I'm not sure what the third run was. Better that Bob straighten us all out!

With your second question about cfm, I am really going to beg off with the "I'm not an engineer" answer. Whatever aeration system Bob was running, it just wasn't enough air going into the brew. The brewers were just barely bubbling at all, no roiling surface, just a gentle gurgle, so I don't see how that could have been 1 CFM.

Take a look at the KIS brewer, or the EPM brewers, or the WormGold brewer, or the Alaska Giant brewers. They really bubble well, and that in my experience is what is critical. Bubble size large enough to move nicely up through the water, but small enough to have enough surface area to get good oxygen exchange.

But I don't know CFM on the EPM, KIS, AG or WormGold machines. Check with those manufacturers?

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY