Re: Fungicides, antibacterials (was --Re: [compost_tea] The toxic part of aloe)

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 23:52:34 -0500

What tea brewer uses old tire parts? I think you are very wise to avoid that tea brewer!

Compost tea does not contain much N,P,K, but it does contain the compoenents of the normal nutrient cycling system that is supposed to exist in soil, and is what plants have used for the last billion years as their source of plant available N.

So while tea does not contain N as nitrate or ammonium, or P as inorganic phosphate, or K as ash, potash or other inroganic form, tea contains a great deal of protein, amino acids, lipids, phospholipids, carbohydrates containing N, P, S, K, Fe, etc. and so on. If you have decent numbers of portozoa, nematodes and arthropods in your soil, then biologically held N, P, K, etf will be made plant available in the root zone of the plant, and will be easily taken up by your plant in the right amounts, etc.

So, long-term use of inorganic N,P,K is a sure pathway to toxic water, unhealthy plants and sick soils. We have to hold the nutrients in the organisms, adn let the predators do their job. That way things stay in balance.

Tea contains biological N,P,K, not inorganic N,P,K. The chemists missed the important stuff, because they didn't have the means to measure it. We now have a useable way to measure the important things, it's what we do at SFI.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY