[compost_tea] Re: Plum Curculio Response to Elaine

From: ericgoodenough <sfo_at_gwi.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 20:04:36 -0000

Elaine,
I, too, would like to hear more about your Plum Curculio discussion
with "dakesian". PC does migrate in from nearby forests where it
overwinters in the duff. I think it is unreasonable to treat the
forests surrounding our 6-acre orchard unless we can find an
efficient, landscape-scale treatment (radionics?) Perhaps there is a
way to make the young green apples and plums less palatable. Your
Wormgold reference makes me wonder: Could it be the
proprietary "stuff" in the Wormgold (chitinase?) that deters the hard-
bodied insect? Does this work because the surface of the plant
becomes unpalatable/unrecogniziable or does it trigger the plant's
own "chitinase response"?

Please do keep us in the loop, on or off the list. Thanks.

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, Eileen Calvanese
<ecalvanese_at_b...> wrote:
> On 1/7/04 12:37 PM, "soilfoodweb_at_a..." <soilfoodweb_at_a...> wrote:
>
> > Unless people e-mail to say that I should keep the exchange going
where
> > everyone can read and learn, I'll do this one-on-one with
dakesian. OK?

> Please keep the exchange going on the list
>
> Also - Elaine - has anyone tried any work on American Elms and
Dutch Elm
> Disease with compost tea? The description of treating for PC seems
similar
> to the mechanism of the Beetle for DED. .... Eileen

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: