[compost_tea] CTTF Report - Hangups?

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 12:11:41 -0700
Still taking this thing in, looking for traps, I googled on 21 CFR 178.1010
and got a version of it on top!  This is a report reference to "sanitizing
agents" (pgs 5 & 13) most of which I found incomprehensible, not ever having
been in a food processing or restaurant business.

I see hydrogen peroxide and various chlorines there and many things I
recognize as components of soap, but the gobbledegook is mindboggling for a
non-chemist.  The kicker, as in potential hangup, for me, is the closing
statement:  "Sanitizing agents for use in accordance with this section will
bear labeling meeting the requirements of the Federal Insecticide,
Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act."

I've never ever bought peroxide or bleach or soap that had such labels, to
my knowledge.  I certainly don't normally look for that.  I trust soap and
water.  A major irony here, I think, is that most of the concoctions cited
in molecular detail there are likely disallowed under NOP!

If this is a problem, I hope someone who understands better would say so.
Meantime, there are plenty of sanitizing agents cited in USNOP's own
National List suitable for cleaning tea equipment, already.  I think this
reference is an unnecessary and superfluous distraction, and will say so
unless directed otherwise here.

Other meantime - TESTS!  I also googled on APHA-AWWA-WEF 1999 for some info
on actual test specs in CTTF report, and was likewise boggled by the array
of chemistry there.  AWWA stuff seemed most relevant.  Several labs offer
affordable "E. coli" tests.  WHICH tests?  Do they conform to what is being
required here?  I can't tell.  Are the ecoli or enterococci tests required
actually affordable and widely available, or what?  Help!

-- Kirk

Yahoo! Groups Links