[compost_tea] High Nitrate levels in water

From: compostconvert <pribac_at_westnet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 03:59:50 -0000
I live in the North West of Western Australia where we have very
high levels of nitrate in the water. The Compost Tea Brewing Manual
(4th ed. p 22) recommends a nitrate level of less than 1 ppm. Our
water is 800 ppm nitrate (as well as high in chlorine, salt and
other TDS). At present I filter water through an activated charcoal
system to remove chlorine, etc. Nitrate is not removed in this
process and although a filtration system to remove nitrate is
available it is extremely expensive. Even if the tea were brewed
using nitrate filtered water, the irrigation water for the crop
(mainly grapes) would still have the high nitrate levels (possibly
lowering bacteria/fungi activity levels once the tea was applied??)
Has anyone experienced successful brewing and application using
water with high nitrate levels, or found a cheap fitering option.
Regards,
Constance

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here