Re: [compost_tea] ACT & Garlic

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:24:00 EDT

VAM stands for vesicular - arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. These fungi produce
vesicles which are probably like spores or dormant stages, while arbuscules
are the active exchange sites between the fungus and the root.

Some people argue that we should just say AM fungi, since some VAM fungi
don't produce vesicles.

I take the point of view that men lack certain morphological features, abut
we still call them humans. I don't accept that a lack of some characteristic
means you drop an important identifier from a name.

I do get an attitude, sometimes...... grin!

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institute Cambridge, New Zealand
Soil Foodweb Inc., Hilversum, The Netherlands
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho