Re: [compost_tea] Re: Some Numbers and Metabolites

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 19:02:30 EST

Right, 1 pound = 454. grams

I had it backwards. Conversions drive me nuts, as I think I've pointed out
before. I messed up. It's why I ask people to check my conversions.

So, 20 kg of compost is 20,000 grams.
20,000 divided by 450 (close enough) would be 44 pounds.

So, that's the amount of compost in that one recipe, in a 2000 L, or 500 gal,
tank.

With good compost, you could go as low as 15 pounds in 500 gal. The 44
pounds seems excessive to me.

Given the tea brewer you have, it is still best to work out the amount of
compost to be used, based on your tea machine. The amount of foods should also
still be based on the machine being used.

The manufacturer should do that testing, and tell you what amount of good
compost to use, and the amounts of foods to use, given the design of the tea
maker.

If you build your own tea maker, then you have to figure these things out for
yourself, based on your machine.
----------
The conversion from 5 gal/ac to L/HA, the value should be 50L/HA. Kirk was
correct on that too.

When spraying, it is best to determine how much tea is needed to cover the
leaf surfaces, based on your SPRAYER unit. Application rates are relative to
the equipment you have, and how good the tea is that you make.

Poor compost? Better put 44 pounds, or 20 kg, in the tea basket.
Good compost? 15 pounds, or 32 kg will do.

Good tea? You can use 2 gal per ac.
Not-so-good tea? Better use 5 gal per ac.

These values give you an idea of the range. Sorry for the mental burps with
the conversions, though.

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institute Cambridge, New Zealand
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho
Soil Foodweb Inc., South Africa