Re: [compost_tea] ACT extrpolating ACT

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 08:24:29 -0800 (PST)

NO disagreement, Dave. A sample of one does not prove a curve, What it does for me is encourave many other points from which to develope a curve, If the many points Betsy got with many in the herd altho on just two pastures, is supported by many other similar tests then we have a curve. My discussion was to encourage those many other experiments. Please add your encouragement. Add your knowledge of other related tests if you know of them.
Is ACt of some value? of great value? Will it do what I suggested it might do - if we make full use of ACT and what other action we find supportive? Bob

David Anderson <squtch_at_gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 02:00:02 -0800 (PST), Robert Norsen wrote:

> When one extrapolates a curve on a chart you don't know where the curve will
> go but from all the actions your expect it to go along an extralated line.

You have a problem here Bob. You don't have a curve from which to
extrapolate. You have a sample of one.

>From message 9547 Betsy states: "I am not a researcher, not drawing
conclusions, just observations – but I am making decisions for my
operation based on those observations." and "Not really an experiment
– just keeping records."

It is a fascinating message, and I encourage everyone to read it.

As for some grass fed beef not having high levels of CLA, she only
stated that the year before starting with compost tea they were low,
then the next year they were high. To extrapolate this to any other
situation is simply wrong.

What she observed was of value, and it might lead to being able to
make broader claims, but it is still a sample of one.

There are many studies of grass-fed beef showing improved levels of
omega 3, omega 6 and CLA across the board. I seriously doubt that all
the land for all the studies were treated with ACT.

In the case of Betsy's ranch, it probably was what made the
difference. But everything else was one year farther along with making
it a healthier environment for the animals, and they were different
animals. There could have even been a genetic reason for the
differences.

They are good valuable observations, that will hopefully lead to more
observations and more testing. They are not a curve that can be
extrapolated.

Dave

Yahoo! Groups Links