[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NAFTA OPINIONS PLEASE

In the long run NAFTA , and similar tariff reduction agreements will
provide for higher world economic activity.

However, I believe there are two fundamental flaws in NAFTA as
currently drafted:

1. It fails to consider the relative value of the U.S. $  Without
bookmarking a relatively tight trading range for the U.S. $, the
"tariff" affect is not moderated. Witness the Mexican devaluation of
the peso and how it effected trade.

2. Without comparable environmental policies, it is a means of
exporting environmental degradation and avoiding any responsibility.

Regards,

Dell Erickson

>Gary Chambers) wrote:

>Hi,
>     I'm a journalist from Fort Macleod in Alberta, Canada.
>I need to collect opinions for some features I'm writing
snip..

>THE STORY:

>     The North American Free Trade Agreement is supposed
>to grease the wheels of trade between Canada, the USA
>and Mexico.

big snip...