[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: British Beef Situation

Jiva Goswami dasa (JivaGo@ACSWORLD.NET) wrote:

: In fact it is not cookoo.  Maybe to get from here to there would be
: impossible, but the ideal is based on sound reasoning. The UnaBomber may
: be a crackpot, but the idea of every one living in small low-tech
: hamlets is a darn good one.

Yes, we can all live like the AMish; all we have to give up is:

eyeglasses
xrays
antibiotics
ambulances
work other than farming
traveling more than 50 miles from home in your life
eating foods other than you and your neighbors raise
cooking over any fuel other than wood
refrigeration
more than one change of clothes

...and what you soon find out is that living like the Amish is only
possible when there are enough non-Amish around you making eyeglasses,
smelting the ore to make the iron for your implements, providing
national defense, weaving fabric and so forth.

You also learn that we don't have enough land for everyone to farm in
that horse-powered inefficent manner. The Amish and Ted the Unabomber
Suspect all have their lifestyles subsidized by those who live in the
20th century.

Now pass the imported brie, and a bottle of that nice beaujolais...

--mike