                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
            =====================================

Resource Pointer #82

June 6, 1996

For copies of the following resources, please contact
the appropriate publishers or organizations directly.
                         ***

*Final Report: National Toxicology Program Workshop on
Validation and Regulatory Acceptance of Alternative
Toxicological Test Methods, 1996.* National Toxicology
Program (NTP). Discusses alternative toxicological
testing methods (methods that reduce or eliminate use of
animals in safety tests) and presents papers examining
scientific validity, regulatory acceptance and future
directions of these methods. 58 pp. No charge. NTP
Liaison Office, PO Box 12233, MD: A3-01, Research
Triangle Park, NC 27709; phone (919) 541-0530, fax (919)
541-0295; email britton@niehs.nih.gov.

*National Toxicology Program Review of Current
Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS),
Department of Energy (DOE), and Environmental Protection
Agency (EPA) Research Related to Toxicology, Fiscal year
1995, December 1995.* National Toxicology Program (NTP).
Describes activities and responsibilities of DHHS, DOE,
and EPA regarding toxicology research and development of
new toxicological methods. Lists chemical compounds
including pesticides currently being tested for
toxicological properties. No charge. NTP Central Data
Management, MD A0-01, PO Box 12233, Research Triangle
Park, NC 27709; phone (919) 541-3419, fax (919) 541-
4714; email cdm@niehs.nih.gov.

*National Toxicology Program, Fiscal Year 1995 Annual
Plan, December 1995.* NTP. Reviews toxicological
programs within NTP and presents updates of testing
methods and chemicals undergoing tests. Lists chemicals
being studied for various toxicological properties and
chemicals nominated for future tests, and discusses
priorities and plans for 1996. 306 pp. No charge. NTP
Central Data Management (see above).

*Corrosion Aspects of Phosphine Fumigation, 1996.*
Danish Environmental Protection Agency. Examines
phosphine as alternative to methyl bromide for shipment
fumigation. Studies phosphines' corrosive properties and
finds that it could damage electronic equipment,
especially under humid conditions which intensify
corrosion. Concludes that phosphine fumigation is
workable alternative when conditions are carefully
controlled, but does not consider health or
environmental effects. 36pp. DKK 75. Miljo-og
Energinministeriet Miljostyrelsen, Strandgade 29, DK-
1401, Kobenhavn K, Denmark; phone (45) 33 37 92 92, fax
(45) 33 92 76 90.

*Environmental Pollutants & Reproductive Health: What
Primary Care Physicians Should Know, 1994* Physicians
for Social Responsibility and Medical College of
Wisconsin. Provides brief overview of industrial
chemicals and pesticides in environment linked to
serious reproductive and developmental problems in
humans. Discusses range of health effects including
infertility, cancer and child development problems, and
discusses safety of tap water and freshwater fish
consumption. 6 pp. No charge. Physicians for Social
Responsibility, 1101 14th St, NW, Suite 700, Washington,
DC 20005; phone (202) 898-0150, fax (202) 898-0172.

We encourage those interested in having resources listed
in the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of
publications, videos or other sources to our office
(address listed below) or to contact Information Program
Associates Adam Kirshner or Gina Schilling for further
information.