[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Mandated spraying in South

In article <v02110100adf6a896ce75@[206.13.118.196]>, agAccess@davis.com
writes:

>Dear Steve,
>
>        I have recently heard that several boll weevil eradication
programs
>in the South mandate the spraying of all cotton acres.
>
>Nathan Boone
>Research Director

Nathan:

The program here in Texas was made mandatory for all cotton growers. The
farmers were required to pay for the program based on the number of acres
planted. In South Texas, the spraying program also eradicated several
beneficial insects and allowed another unaffected insect to devastate the
crop. Of course, the severe drought didn't help. Before we get carried
away screaming about government mandates, the farmers were consulted about
the program before it was selected.

Mark Roberts (marob102a@aol.com)
Social Studies Instructor
Roma Middle School