[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ecological Economics and Entropy

John McCarthy wrote:

> Jay Hanson includes:
>
>      You may not remeber, but we humans have already appropriated
>      nearly 50% of the terrestrial net product of
>      photosynthesis. In other words, all solar energy is now
>      being used -- one way or another.
>
> The "in other words" is mistaken.
>
> Most of the sun's energy that strikes the earth is not causing
> photosynthesis of any kind.  It just warms the ground and is
> re-radiated.  It is available for solar electric power or for
> increasing the total amount of photosynthesis.

I haven't seen this anywhere. You mean in the
 middle of the Gobi Desert?  There's gunna be
  some woppin big transmission losses! <G>
   Where in the world did you get this stuff?

> He also repeats that uranium is only 4 parts per million of the
> earth's crust.  Correct.  He says we are nearly out of usable uranium
> assuming we don't use breeder reactors.  This is old information.  We
> aren't nearly out, because rich new uranium deposits have been

This was written by the energy industry a
 couple of years ago.

> discovered.  However, in the long run we will use breeder reactors.

Why don't quit screwing around and just use
 perpetual motion machines?

> Hanson also includes:
>
>      As far as "nukes" go, 35 years wouldn't even get you past
>      the lawsuits.  Nukes are a political no-go.
>
> Coupling this with his prediction of industrial civilization
> collapsing, it suggests that humanity in general and the U.S. in
> particular would rather perish than overcome legal guerrilla warfare.
> Does he really believe that?

Yes I do.  Read what our four-footed-friends are
 writing on these news groups.  The American people
  have been lied to by their elected officials and
   corporations for so many years, that they won't
    believe anything anyone says.

Jay