(Fwd) practical use for snails?

I have one word:

Date:          Mon, 13 Jan 1997 17:41:59 +1000
To:            permaculture-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
From:          Martha Hills <martha.hills@cis.csiro.au>
Subject:       practical use for snails?

>Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 15:30:59 +1000
>From: Adam Mark <p2119860@vmsuser.acsu.unsw.edu.au>
>To: permaculture-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
>Subject: practical use for snails?
>I've been doing the snail pail trail around the garden for years now and
>have hand picked and discarded x number of hundreds? I don't even
>particularly mind doing this.What I do mind is the bucket of dead and
>SMELLY snails. Does anyone know anything that snails or snail shells
>could be used for (other than food) I haven't been putting them on the
>compost as I heard somewhere they are not suitable, but they must be
>suitable for something other than a big hole in the ground.
I usually stomp on them at the time.  It's a quicker death for them,
and I hope the ants haul away the leftovers.  After stepping on them,
though, I can't imagine eating them.  One other tactic has been
to clean up places where they hold their conventions; if fewer are born,
there are fewer for me to deal with. Someone else can probably comment
on animals that will eat snails.  That's my next step.

Onward, Martha

Martha R. Hills
Coordinator, Authority work           The secret of all victory
Corporate Information Management      lies in the organization
CSIRO Australia                       of the non-obvious.

Email:  martha.hills@cis.csiro.au
Telephone:  + (0)3 9518 5941
Fax:        + (0)3 9518 5959
Mail: Locked Bag 89, Clayton South VIC Australia 3169