Re: practical use for snails?

>If that is too much like work, clean them (boiling is best) and grind them
up
>before putting the shells in your compost or simply scatter them around to
>work in your soil. The finer the grind, up to powder (the best), the more
>benefit from remineralization is possible. While I am not sure based on
>personal experience, I have heard it said that the ground shell helps to
>persuade snails to go elsewhere.
>
>Milo Clark
>Berkeley CA USA

Milo:

Remineralization?  What minerals do snail shells contain besides calcium
carbonate?  I'm most interested!

I would have thought that the main fertility benefit would come from the fact
that they are food and that food makes good fertlizer, e.g. NPK+variable
trace.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
permaculture training by email. Copyright, 1996, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O.
Box 2052, Ocala FL 34478 USA  YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.