                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
            =====================================

Resource Pointer #120

April 2, 1997

For copies of the following resources, please contact
the appropriate publishers or organizations directly.

                         ***

*Alternatives to Methyl Bromide, Volume Two: Ten Case
Studies -- Soil, Commodity and Structural Use, 1996.*
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Office of Air
and Radiation. Describes materials and methods used as
alternatives to methyl bromide for certain soil,
commodity and structural uses. Discusses range of
chemical and non-chemical alternative strategies,
including soil solarization, organic production, IPM,
use of nematode resistant cultivars, heat treatments,
irradiation and sulfuryl fluoride. 62 pp. No charge.
Ozone Protection Hotline; phone toll free (800) 296-1996
or (301) 614-3390 or contact Methyl Bromide Program,
EPA, 6205J, 401 M Street, SW, Washington, DC 20460;
http://www.epa.gov/ozone/mbr/mbrqa.html.

*The IPM Practitioner, March 1997.* BioIntegral Resource
Center (BIRC). Monthly journal about integrated pest
management (IPM) includes research updates, book reviews
and listings of IPM resources. March 1997 issue focuses
on alternatives to methyl bromide in forest nurseries.
Discusses range of alternative practices including
container seedling production, organic amendments,
suppressive mulches and biological control. Provides
examples of successful forest nursery production without
methyl bromide and includes contact information for
alternative technology resources. Subscription costs:
institutions/libraries/businesses -- US$60; individuals
-- US$35; Canadian subscribers -- add US$10; other
foreign subscribers -- add US$20. BIRC, P.O. Box 7414,
Berkeley, CA 94704; phone (510) 524-2567; fax (510) 524-
1758; email birc@igc.org.

*Methyl Bromide Replacement Strategies, 1996.* Arizona
Department of Environmental Quality. Provides overview
of methyl bromide use and regulations, focusing on
issues related to Arizona and Sonora, Mexico, including
quarantine, industrial, structural and turf uses of the
fumigant. Reviews alternatives and discusses national
and international laws related to methyl bromide.
Approx. 60 pp. Limited copies available free. John
Hathaway, Arizona Department of Environmental Quality,
3033 N. Central Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85012; phone (602)
207-4219; fax (602) 207-4528.

*How to Obtain Information from EPA's Office of
Pesticide Programs (OPP), 1996.* U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency (EPA). Describes types of information
available from OPP and tells how to obtain documents
from EPA, phone hot lines, the internet and by Freedom
of Information Act requests. Includes names and phone
numbers of key management personnel at OPP. 39 pp. No
charge. Communications Branch, FOD, Office of Pesticide
Programs (7506C), U.S. EPA, 401 M Street, SW,
Washington, DC 20460; phone (703) 305-5017; fax (703)
305-5558.

*EPA Office of Pesticide Programs Annual Report for
1996.* U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Office
of Pesticide Programs (OPP). Gives overview of OPP's
activities in 1996, including its role in passage of the
Food Quality Protection Act. Describes OPP's new
antimicrobial division, ongoing assessment of endocrine
disruptors and expansion of online resources. Discusses
pesticide registration process and lists new pesticide
active ingredients registered in 1996. 45 pp. No charge.
Communications Branch (see above).

We encourage those interested in having resources listed
in the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of
publications, videos or other sources to our office
(address listed below) or to contact Information Program
Associate Adam Kirshner for further information.