                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
            =====================================

Resource Pointer #123

April 17, 1997

For copies of the following resources, please contact
the appropriate publishers or organizations directly.

                         ***

*World Conference on Breast Cancer, July 13-17, 1997,
Kingston, Ontario, Canada.* Kingston Breast Cancer
Conference Committee and Women's Environment and
Development Organization. International conference will
present speakers and workshops covering range of issues
related to breast cancer, including prevention,
treatment, research, support, advocacy and alternative
therapies. Conference program is directed at women with
breast cancer, health care professionals, researchers,
social workers, cancer information providers, health
educators and others. Registration -- Canada$275. First
World Conference on Breast Cancer, Registration Office,
PO Box 1570, 190 Railway St., Kingston, ON K7L 5C8;
phone (613) 531-9210; fax (613) 531-0626; email
events@adan.kingston.net.

*Reducing Your Risk: A Guide to Avoiding Hormone-
Disrupting Chemicals, 1997.* World Wildlife Fund (WWF).
Presents lay-language overview of endocrine disrupting
chemicals and explains how endocrine system and hormone
disruptors work. Outlines evidence that certain
pesticides and other chemicals are hormone disruptors
and describes steps to reduce exposure to these
chemicals. Suggests alternatives to pesticides  and
points out that some pesticides thought not to cause
hormone-disruption may contain hormone-disrupting secret
"inert" ingredients. 22 pp. Free. WWF Canada, 90
Eglinton Avenue East, Suite 504, Toronto, ON M4P 2Z7,
Canada; phone (416) 489-8800; fax (416) 489-3611; email
panda@wwfcanada.org; http://www.wwfcanada/hormone-
disruptors/.

*Poison Poles: Their Toxic Trail and the Safer
Alternatives, 1997.* National Coalition Against the
Misuse of Pesticides (NCAMP). Investigates chemical wood
preservatives used on telephone poles and utility poles
and finds that they are protected with large quantities
of very toxic pesticides. Discusses ecological and
health problems associated with using wood poles,
including impacts of forestry, chemical production,
disposal and wood treatment products. Examines hazards
of widely used preservatives pentachlorophenol,
creosote, arsenicals and copper naphthenate. Discusses
availability of alternatives to wood poles, including
recycled steel, reinforced concrete and fiberglass
composite. 48 pp. US$20. NCAMP, 701 E Street, SE,
Washington, DC 20003; phone (202) 543-5450; fax (202)
543-4791; email ncamp@igc.org; http://www.ncamp.org.

*California Pesticide Illness Surveillance Program,
Summary Report, 1996.* California Department of
Pesticide Regulation (DPR). Summarizes reports about
pesticide related illness or injury received by DPR
during 1994. Lists cases classified as possibly,
probably or definitely related to pesticide exposure
(1,332 cases), and provides information about affected
individuals, including age, occupation, type of injury
or illness and type of pesticide identified as possible,
probable or definite cause of illness. 53 pp. Free.
California Environmental Protection Agency, DPR, Worker
Health and Safety Branch, 1020 N Street, Room 200,
Sacramento, CA 95814; phone (916) 445-4222; fax (916)
445-4280; http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/.

*Ten Tips to Protect Children from Pesticide and Lead
Poisonings around the Home, 1997.* (English and
Spanish). U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Single page fact sheet describes ways to protect
children from toxins -- e.g. store pesticides in locked
cabinet and remove children and toys from area before
applying pesticides. Does not mention least toxic
alternatives to pesticides. Free. (Specify item #735-F-
97-001). U.S. EPA National Center for Environmental
Publications and Information, Cincinnati, OH 45268;
phone (513) 489-8190; fax (513) 489-8695.

We encourage those interested in having resources listed
in the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of
publications, videos or other sources to our office
(address listed below) or to contact Information Program
Associate Adam Kirshner for further information.