CODEX & nazis

Once again the learning never ends...thanks to those of you who responded
to the CODEX alert which I passed on a few days ago. For the sake of
clarity -

1) I did not write the piece, I passed it on (as I think I mentioned) so
please,  don't shoot me I'm only the messenger. I will attempt to
(likewise) pass along your collective concerns regarding some passing
references to the connection between these multinational pharmaceutical
co's and WWII. It is unfortunate that you (collective) were apparently
turned off by that information.

2) Regardless of my personal feelings about parts of the text, I did NOT
take it upon myself to 'strip down' the original post which I found on the
Internet with all kinds of other information regarding CODEX (good one,
Eric! it is so frightening one might think it is just some fruitloops out
there cooking something up, but I'm sorry to say it is NOT some kind of
'zany internet paranioa')... I make my living as a writer, & understand the
need to 'context' a piece - I also believe that 'stripping' somebody else's
copywrited work without their permission is ethically inadmissable.

I do hope that the list will not 'skip this one' ... and I really suggest
that you plug the words 'CODEX ALIMENTARIUS' in your search engine and
check out what you find. I have included 2 articles below FYI. As you can
see, it is all quite 'official'.

Beth

Net Gleanings on Codex.

[Image]

Codex Alimentarius is the food safety organization for GATT and NAFTA.
Countries must base their sanitary and phytosanitary measures on Codex
standards unless a scientific basis exists for a higher level of protection.
The WTO is using Codex as their reference organization for food safety in
implementing GATT. Understanding Codex standards is an essential part of
international trade.

                             1997 Codex Calendar

 Topic                      Date of Session        Session Location

 Codex Committee on Food
 Import and Export
 Inspection and               February 17-21         Sydney
 Certification Systems       (Past meeting)
 (5th Session)

 Codex Regional
 Coordinating Committee
 for Latin America and the    February 25-28       Montevideo
 Caribbean                   (Past meeting)
 (10th Session)

 Codex Committee on
 Methods of Analysis and       March 10-14
 Sampling                   (Past meeting)         Budapest
 (21st Session)

   Codex Committee on Food
        Additives and          March 17-21
     Contaminants (29th     (Past meeting)         The Hague
          Session)

 Codex Committee on             April 7-12
 Pesticide Residues         (Past meeting)         The Hague
 (29th Session)

 Codex Committee on Food      April 15-18
 Labeling (25th Session)    (Past meeting)         Ottawa

 Executive Committee of
 the Codex Alimentarius       June 19-20           Geneva
 Commission (44th Session)

 Codex Alimentarius           June 23-28           Geneva
 Commission (22nd Session)

 Codex Committee on Fresh
 Fruits and Vegetables        September 8-12       Mexico City
 (7th Session)

 Codex Committee on Food      October 20-24        Washington, D.C.
 Hygiene (30th Session)

Want to take a look at the inner workings (and complexities) of CODEX? Need
a better understanding of this important standards organization? Jim
Heimbach recently (October, 1996) attended a meeting of the CODEX Committee
on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses (CCNFSDU) in Bonn, Germany.
We would like to share his report with you.

[Image] Click here to browse Jim's report.

TAS Experts on Codex . . .

     [Image]  James T. Heimbach, Ph.D., Chief Operating Officer
     [Image]  Chad B. Sandusky, Ph.D., Director of Safety and Risk
     Assessment

Are Committed to . . .

   * Monitoring activities of key Codex committees
   * Tracking policy initiatives and technical consultations
   * Applying scientific expertise to assess and interpret standards
   * Serving on the Food Industry Codex Coalition

Ongoing TAS Codex Participation . . .

   * Food Additives and Contaminants
   * Pesticide Residues
   * FAO/WHO Consultation on Guidelines for Predicting Dietary Intake of
     Pesticide Residues
   * Food Hygiene
   * Food Export & Import Inspection & Certification Systems
   * Residues of Veterinary Drugs in Foods
   * Codex Commission
   * Food Industry Coalition Steering Committee

                                   [Image]
                            Back to TAS Home Page

[Image] Maintained by:
webmaster@tasinc.com
Updated 3/14/97

                           FACT SHEET ON "CODEX"

          What is Codex Alimentarius and what does it mean to you?

Codex Alimentarius simply means "Code of law for food," What it means to you
is a threat to your health and the health of others on the planet.

Dr. Matthias Rath, the vitamin C researcher stated in a letter to German's
Chancellor Kohl:

"This 'Codex' Commission is overwhelmingly composed of representatives of
German and international pharmaceutical corporations, and its aim is to set
world wide guidelines for vitamins, amino acids, minerals and other dietary
supplements. Spearheaded by the German pharmaceutical corporations, this
'Codex' Commission plans to ban, on a world wide scale, any health
statements in relation to vitamins, be it preventive or therapeutic.
Moreover, the only vitamin formulas which would still be available would
have to meet the arbitrary restrictions of the 'Codex' Commission. The
nations that do not comply with these restrictions are faced with economic
sanctions."

If this regulating of vitamin and supplement potencies goes into effect
world wide, what will the next step be? We need to stop this ball from
rolling to protect our health freedom.

The FDA's stance on this issue is stated in the Federal Register of October
11, 1995 - FDA Policy on Standards, which states:

"It is the intent of this policy to enable FDA to continue to participate in
international standards activities that assist it in implementing statutory
provisions ..."

and

"The development of an international standard that achieves the agency's
public objectives is generally, but not always, given a higher priority than
the development of a domestic standard..."

and

"Where a relevant international standard exists. or completion is imminent,
it will generally be used in preference to a domestic standard.."

In light of the above statements of the FDA on their intentions and because
of their past performance of ignoring the public's wishes in protecting
health freedom, a public outcry against the "Codex" is sorely needed right
now.

This is a situation that calls for immediate action. A firestorm of letters
are needed to let the FDA, Kohl, Clinton and the international media know
what we think of this very bad plan.

                          WHAT YOU NEED TO DO NOW!

Write to Dr. Robert Moore at the FDA and urge him to REJECT the German
position on how dietary supplements (including herbs) should be regulated.
Tell him to reject any scheme for establishing maximum potencies for dietary
supplements tied to contrived reference values such as RDAs (Recommended
Daily Allowances).

Send, fax or E-Mail copies of your letters to your Congressman and Senators
and the following list of leaders and media.

Bundeskanzler, Chancellor Helmut Kohl, Bundeshaus 53113, Bonn, Germany

President Bill Clinton, The White House, Washington, D,C, 20500
Phone: 202-456-1414, Fax: 202-456-2461, E-Mail: president @ Whitehouse.gov

Robert J. Moore. Ph.D., Food and Drug Administration
Office of Special Nutritionals, HFS 456, 200 C St. S.W. Washington D.C,
20204
Phone: 202-205-5372, Fax: 202-260-8957, E-rjm@vm.cfsan.fda.gov

Editor, Public Citizen Magazine, 1600 20th Street N.W., Washington, D,C,
20009
Phone: 202-546-4996

Radio Free Europe, 1201 Connecticut Ave. N.W., Washington, D,C. 20036
Phone: 202-457-6950, Fax: 202-457-6997

London Times, 529 14th Street N.W., Suite 1040, Washington D,C. 20045
Phone: 202-347-7659, please mail correspondence

New York Times, Foreign Correspondent, 229 W. 43rd Street, New York, NY
10046

The European, Rue le Correge #27, 1000 Brussels, Belgium
011-322-732-5250

International Herald Tribune, 1150 15th Street N.W., Washington, D.C. 20071
Phone: 202-334-7418

International Herald Tribune, I8I Ave. Charles DeGaulle, 92521 Neuilly
Cedex, France

c/o International Desk, CNN, 1 CNN Centcr, Atlanta, GA 30374
Phone: 404-827-1500 or 827-0234

Read the latest John Hammell update on the "CODEX" Commission's meeting in
Bonn, Germany.
[Image] Return to ARXC Home Page.

Comments, questions or problems with this site...
cquest@cquest.com