Planting Trees: Just do it! Re: Sustainable Agriculture

Thanks Jane:
        The original short story was written by Jean Giono who lived in that
barren region near Manosque, in Provence in southern France.  He wrote it
about 70 years ago, but it is interesting that there are similar both
positive and negative ecological accounts going back thousands of years.
Our power whether as determined persistent individuals or in the form of
organizations like families, schools, churches, companies, communities,
nations or societies is remarkable and CAN be turned to the positive.  Keep
at it!
        Steve

>reminded me of watching "The Man Who Planted Trees" on public tv last night.
>This animated short takes a beautiful story and brings it to life in a way
>that would spur even the most apathetic soul to at least consider how to
>make his/her mark on this planet.
>
>Rather than ranting about the effects of environmental degradation, "The Man
>Who Planted Trees" turns the story around and shows how someone--through
>faith and persistent action, the continuous planting of trees in a
>wind-blown, barren region--brings new life to the area. One of the wonderful
>things about this story is that it emphasizes what can be done, rather than
>what shouldn't be done. In this way, it opens up the possibility that all of
>us *can* do something.
>
>If you ever have the chance to view this animated short, do so!
>
>Jane

Steven G. Hall, P.E., Doctoral Candidate
Agricultural and Biological Engineering
419 Riley-Robb Hall
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
e-mail: sgh1@cornell.edu
telephone: (607)256-5408  /    fax:255-4080
web site:  http://caep.aben.cornell.edu/sghhome.htm