Re: Food miles

Patricia Dines wrote:

> Hi - Thought this might be of interest, re: prior conversation on the list
> re: the value of local food and re: looking at what sustainability in ag
> means... This seems to me to be an idea, a proposed project, and some leads
> for more info... P. Dines

I would like to add another factor in the production of CO2 in the food
production system- Tillage.
Soil that is turned or stirred releases CO2 gas into the atmosphere.
There are some power companys in Canada that are subsidizing farmers to
not till their land so the CO2 stays in the soil and not cause the
CO2 level in the  air to exceed the threshhold. Simply put, they are
paying farmers so they can pollute! An interesting dilema.
Don Reicosky (USDA ARS North Central Research Lab. Morris, MN) has done
numerous detailed studies on the effect tillage has on the release of
CO2.

 "New Generation Cropping Systems": the cutting edge of sustainable
agriculture
http://www2.epix.net/~cmfarm/
Steve Groff
Cedar Meadow Farm