RE: Sustainable Agriculture (?)

Dear Cyrus, et al,

For many years I have contended that sustainable agriculture is a misnomer.  Not
to mention easily misused (see two-page full-color advertising spreads by
DuPont and Monsanto touting their "sustainable" businesses in any upscale
informative magazine).

The true test of sustainability must be in longevity.  Can we use erosion as a
barometer?  Or is it in maintaining farms on farm land?  How about quality of
life?  If we must continually input, is that sustainable, even if those inputs are
"natural" and "best practices."

The fact is our language and understanding cannot truly comprehend
sustainability, so we must do the best we can, with the tools we have.  I want
every farm to be organic because all chemicals degrade life, but I realize that my
desires, my definitions, don't fit every circumstance, every perspective.

I am happy that a lot of fine and focused work is being done to increase
"sustainability", even if we are still shooting in the dark.  It is our only hope.

I hope you, and all others who read this, do not take offense at my response to
your question.  It is, after all, my perspective, my opinion.

Who has a better word?

Sustainably yours,

Deni Durham
Eridu Farm CSA