Re: Bolivian Farmers Demand Researchers Drop Patent on And

While I respect the instrumental work of Colorado
researchers to adapt quinoa to North American farms, I agree with the
Bolivian farmers and RAFI on the topic of biopiracy.

Biopiracy is a product of Western Science and Technology.  More
importantly, it is rooted in Western Mind, whose paradigm is
individualism and extraction of natural resources with the aim of
short-term economic gain at the expense of the common good.
In contrast, Tribal Mind is based on community ethics and
long-term environmental awareness.

I became aware of these two paradigms on a recent trip to
India, after visiting tribal villages that were (as are many Native
Americans, African Americans, and indigenous peoples around
the world)  culturally displaced by dominant European colonialism.

For a revealing insight, read Winin Pereria's book, whose titles
says it all...."Global Parasites:  500 Years of Western Culture",
available from The Other India Press.

Western Mind, it should be noted, is not just about white people
from the North.  It is a frame of mind that results in actions that
threaten the planet and its peoples.

Sadly, corrupt governments and industrialists of the resource-rich
two-thirds world have happily adopted Western Mind think, and
are reaping their individual rewards while fellow citizens, wildlife,
and plant-based ecosystems are suffering in misery.

Globalization, which many are realizing is so destructive,  is a logical end
product of Western Mind.

I am hopeful, however, in the many alternative models that are
emerging from the visionary movements such as spiritual ecology,
permaculture, and sustainable agriculture in general.

Some of the paradigm shifters that come to mind include the
partnership model that Riane Eisler talks about in "The Chalice
and The Blade", and from a macro socio-economic perspective, the
Progressive Utilization Theory, or PROUT, propounded by the Indian
scholar and philosopher, P.R. Sarkar.

Steve Diver

--
steved@ncatark.uark.edu