                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
            =====================================

Resource Pointer #133

July 9, 1997

For copies of the following resources, please contact
the appropriate publishers or organizations directly.

                         ***

*The Bromide Barons: Methyl Bromide, Corporate Power and
Environmental Justice, 1997. Joshua Karliner, Alba
Morales and Dara O'Rourke. Examines methyl bromide use
and its health and environmental effects, focusing on
environmental justice issues in California. Discusses
history of methyl bromide production and the
corporations that have benefitted from its sale.
Documents corporate lobbying on behalf of methyl
bromide, and suggests how citizens can work to challenge
methyl bromide industry. 25 pp. US$5 (bulk discounts
available). Political Ecology Group/Tides Center, 965
Mission Street, Suite 700, San Francisco, CA 94103;
phone (415) 777-3488; email peg@igc.org;
http://www.igc.org/peg.

*Production of Flowers and Vegetables in Danish
Greenhouses: Alternatives to Methyl Bromide, 1997
(Environmental Review, No. 4).* Danish Environmental
Protection Agency. Describes methyl bromide use in
Denmark and summarizes its regulatory history -- methyl
bromide is prohibed in Denmark as of January 1, 1998.
Outlines pests and strategies of combating pests without
methyl bromide, focusing on use of non-soil substrates
for growing crops in disease-free environments. 35 pp.
Denmark$75. Miljo-og Energiministeriet Miljostyrelsen,
Strandgade 29, DK-1401, Coppenhagen, Denmark; phone (45)
32 66 01 00.

*Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone
Layer: Technology and Economic Assessment Panel, 1997.*
U.N. Environment Programme (UNEP). Presents updated
information on issues related to Montreal Protocol,
including Methyl Bromide Technical Options Committee
progress report. Progress report includes information
about products containing methyl bromide, market- and
trade-based measures to reduce its use, and
alternatives. Discusses how to implement "essential use"
process regarding exemptions to methyl bromide phaseout.
221 pp. According to UNEP, copies are available "under
certain conditions" from UNEP, Ozone Secretariat, P.O.
Box 30552, Nairobi, Kenya; email ozoneinfo@unep.org;
http://www.unep.org/unep/secretar/ozone.

*El Grito de la Raza, Vol. 2, April 1997.* (Spanish).
Campesinos de Ayuda Voluntaria/Farmworkers Self-Help,
Inc. Newsletter of nonprofit farmworker organization.
April issue focuses on methyl bromide, providing a
toxicological overview in lay terms and information
about preventing injuries from methyl bromide.
Campesinos de Ayuda Voluntaria/Farmworkers Self-Help,
Inc., 37240 Lock Street, Dade City, FL 33525; phone
(352) 567-1432; fax (352) 567-1591.

*First Electronic Conference of Pesticide Action Network
Latin America (RAPAL), July 14, 1997 - August 22, 1997.*
(Spanish). Organized by Red de Accion en Alternativas al uso
de Agroquimicos (RAAA). Spanish-language online conference
will examine merits of integrated pest management (Manejo
Integrado de Plagas) compared to ecological pest management
(Manejo Ecologico de Plagas). Conference facilitator will
email documents to participants and will moderate discussion.
To register, contact RAAA, Apartado Postal 11-0581, Av.
Mariscal Miller 2622 - Lince, Lima 14, Peru; phone/fax (51
14) 40-4359; email postmaster@raaa.org.pe.

*CORRECTION* Reducing Reliance of Pesticides in Great
Lakes Basin Agriculture, described in PANUPS Resource
Pointer #132, examines the Canada/U.S. Great Lakes Basin
-- not just the U.S. Great Lakes Basin.

We encourage those interested in having resources listed
in the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of
publications, videos or other sources to our office
(address listed below) or to contact Information Program
Associate Adam Kirshner for further information.