To do at home

On the issue of using sewage sludge.
  If you want to do something direct about the content of sewage sludge,
besides just writing letters, and do yourself some good besides, consider
switching to an in-home, compost toilet.  We have had one for years.  The
advantages include saving thousands of gallons of water per year, which
svaes you money and increases the amount of water available for better
uses than flushing toilets.  It also reduces the load on the city sewage
systems, and the end product is thoroughly composted and useable in
gardens, without any danger of having harmful metals or other substances.
 Further, if enough people used these, the percentage of metals and such
going into municipal sewage would increase without household sewage to
dilute it.  At that point it might become a high enough percentage of the
sewage to make it necessary to change the way the sewage was treated, or
possibly encourage development of new methods of capturing and retrieving
the dangerous substances.
  It could be a win-win situation all around.
  One of the best compost toilets I know of, one I recently upgraded to
and think highly of, is at
 http://www.compostingtoilet.com/index.htm
-Lon J. Rombough
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom