                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
            =====================================

Resource Pointer #135

July 23, 1997

For copies of the following resources, please contact
the appropriate publishers or organizations directly.

                         ***

*Linking Biodiversity and Agriculture: Challenges and
Opportunities for Sustainable Food Security, 1997.* Lori
Ann Thrupp. Examines importance of agricultural
biodiversity to sustainable agriculture and describes
challenges to conserving biodiversity. Discusses
problems resulting from biodiversity loss, including
increased vulnerability to pests and diseases. Briefly
outlines tactics that could prevent agrobiodiversity
loss. World Resources Institute, 1709 New York Avenue,
NW, Washington, DC 20006; phone (202) 662-2596; email
chrisd@wri.org.

*Biodiversity and Agricultural Intensification: Partners
for Development and Conservation, 1996.* J.P.
Srivastava, N.J.H. Smith and D.A. Forno (eds).
Investigates relationship between agriculture and
biodiversity, focusing on the World Bank's role
regarding this issue. Different authors address range of
topics related to agrobiodiversity, including policy
considerations; effects of agricultural development on
biodiversity; harmonizing biodiversity conservation with
agricultural development; and the World Bank's
agricultural portfolio. 128 pp. US$9.95. The World Bank,
1818 H Street, NW, Washinton, DC 20433; phone (703) 661-
1580; fax (703) 661-1501; email books@worldbank.org;
http://www.worldbank.org.

*Agricultural Biotechnology: Novel Products and New
Partnerships, 1996.* National Agricultural Biotechnology
Council (NABC). Presents compilation of papers given at
conference on agricultural biotechnology, including
perspectives from genetic engineering industry,
university research and public interest advocacy groups.
Discusses technology, regulation, applications and risks
of biotechnology, and includes workshop summaries,
keynote addresses and plenary lectures. 164 pp. US$5.
NABC, 419 Boyce Thompson Institute, Tower Road, Ithaca,
NY 14853; phone (607) 254-1234.

*Food Safety Advisory Committee: Meeting Summary
Compilation, 1996.* U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
(EPA). Presents summaries of four public meetings led by
EPA to solicit input from stakeholders regarding how to
carry out Food Quality Protection Act. Each summary
paraphrases discussions and provides names of meeting
participants. Meetings addressed wide range of topics
related to pesticide regulations, including Section 18
exemptions, worker concerns, infant and child
provisions, right-to-know, risk assessment and "reduced
risk" pesticides. 107 pp. This publication is only
available through Freedom of Information requests. Send
request in writing for Docket #00450 to Freedom of
Information (1105), US EPA, 401 M Street, SW,
Washington, DC 20460; fax (202) 260-4499.

*Synergy, Spring 1997.* (Periodical). Synergy. Quarterly
magazine of sustainable community/sustainable
agriculture news, Spring issue includes articles on
community supported agriculture, land reform in South
Africa and organic gardening. News regarding Canada is
highlighted. Subscriptions: individual -- Canada$22;
institutional -- Canada$32. Synergy, P.O. Box 8803,
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7K 6S6; phone (306)
652-9572; fax (306) 664-6074; email synergy@link.ca.

We encourage those interested in having resources listed
in the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of
publications, videos or other sources to our office
(address listed below) or to contact Information Program
Associate Adam Kirshner for further information.