Question

Sanetters - On June 12 I sent the following to Gary Evans, who at this time
last year was appointed Director of the Natural Resources Institute at the
Beltsville Ag Research Center. I have yet to receive a reply. Can anyone
shed some light?

>Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 16:30:18
>To: evansg@nal.usda.gov
>From: Pam Murray <csas001@unlvm.unl.edu>
>Subject: Question
>
>Gary, last August you sent a message to sanet-mg containing the following:
>*************
>The Natural Resources Institute is comprised of several
>laboratories focused on pesticides, environmental chemistry,
>crop modelling, farming systems, hydrology, remote sensing
>and instrumentation, sustainable agriculture and soil
>microbiology, as well as other areas. I have been given the
>mandate to initiate the development of a virtual institute
>focused on sustainable agriculture. This will be a unique
>undertaking for ARS and will probably involve some paradigm
>shifts in how whole system research is designed, implemented
>and conducted. SANET will obviously be an invaluable link to
>you and your interested client groups and I intend to keep
>the linkages open. Moving from a few sustainable agriculture
>research projects into a fully focused institute will take
>time, patience and support from the community. I look
>forward to hearing from everyone, particularly as we begin
>the strategic planning process and seek involvement in
>obtaining research priorities.
>************
>
>What is the status of the virtual institute?

Pam Murray, Coordinator
Center for Grassland Studies and
Center for Sustainable Agricultural Systems
PO Box 830949
University of Nebraska
Lincoln, NE 68583-0949
phone: 402-472-9383