                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
                   EMAIL: panna@panna.org
            =====================================

September 19, 1997

Dramatic Increase in Dangerous Pesticide Use in California

Use of pesticides that cause cancer increased 129% in
California between 1991 and 1995 according to a report
released this week by the Pesticide Action Network North
America (PANNA) and Californians for Pesticide Reform, a
coalition of public interest groups. More than 6.5 pounds of
pesticide active ingredients are used per person per year in
California -- more than double the national rate of 3.1
pounds per capita.

For the study, PANNA staff collected official state and
federal data on pesticide use, agricultural production and
toxicology of particular pesticides. They then combined these
data to produce a comprehensive view of pesticide use in
California from 1991 to 1995.

The report shows that total reported pesticide use in the
state increased 31% during this time period, rising from 161
million to 212 million pounds of pesticide active ingredient.
Approximately 90% of all reported pesticide use occurs in
production agriculture -- agricultural pesticide use
increased 37% between 1991 and 1995. The increases in use
were not due to increases in planted acreage, since according
to data published by the state of California, acreage
statewide has remained nearly constant during this time
period. Instead, intensity of agricultural pesticide use
increased 35%, from an average of 18 to nearly 25 pounds per
harvested acre.

During this period, use of acutely toxic systemic nerve
poisons increased 52% to almost nine million pounds. (These
pesticides disrupt the enzymes that control the nervous
system.) The total volume of carcinogens, reproductive
hazards, endocrine disruptors, Category I highly acute
systemic poisons, Category II nerve toxins and Restricted Use
Pesticides increased 32% between 1991 and 1995, and now
comprise 72 million pounds or 34% of total reported pesticide
use in the state.

Pesticides are applied much more heavily on some crops than
others. California strawberries are grown on only about
23,000 acres, yet farmers use over seven million pounds of
pesticides on the crop each year. Strawberries are the most
intensively treated crop in the state, receiving an average
of over 300 pounds of pesticide active ingredient per acre
per year.

Eight adjacent countries in the San Joaquin Valley, where
intensive farming is a primary land use, account for 60% of
reported pesticide use in the state. Heavy pesticide use also
occurs in California's other major agricultural areas: the
Central Coast, the Southern Deserts, the North Coast wine
country and the Sacramento Valley. In addition, there is a
large but unreported use of pesticides in homes and gardens.

PANNA and CPR criticized California Governor Wilson and the
Department of Pesticide Regulation (DPR) for keeping the
public in the dark about pesticide use trends and for not
addressing the problem. According to the groups, reducing
pesticide use requires regulation of pesticides, research
into and implementation of alternatives, and an informed
public with access to information about pesticide use. They
called on the state to honor the public's right to know about
release of toxic materials into the environment. The state
should also improve public access to data on pesticide use by
producing annual reports summarizing pesticide use in the
state over time by crop, geographic region and by toxicity of
pesticides, and by making data more accessible and
affordable. They also called on the Governor and DPR to
launch a statewide effort to reduce pesticide use.

Veda Federighi, a spokeswoman for the Department of Pesticide
Regulation, responded by calling the report "bogus science."
"The most important component of risk is not toxicity, it's
exposure, and we regulate so that exposures to chemicals are
at acceptable levels," Federighi said. Ralph Lightstone, an
attorney with California Rural Legal Assistance Foundation,
disagreed. "If you spray a lot more, then there's bound to be
more exposure," he said. "I think a lot of the chemicals in
use today can't be used safely . . . We should use less toxic
materials."

"Rising Toxic Tide" is the second in a series of reports to
be released by Californians for Pesticide Reform, a statewide
coalition of over 50 organizations ranging from statewide
health, consumer and environmental non-profits to volunteer
community groups.

Source: Rising Toxic Tide, Pesticide Action Network North
America, 1997. San Francisco Examiner, September 18, 1997.
San Jose Mercury, September 18, 1997.