shelter of yurt design

since we are on the topic of ones shelter i would like to pose this question
that i have....

My cousin and i have just completed the raising of our first yurt/ger. The
skeleton standeth! We now need to maketh the skin and living here in the
rainforest we need it to be somewhat water proof/resistant.
We would like to begin by avoiding synthetic fiber that is made from the oil
industry (basically all plastics).
We are thinking of buying a bolt of hemp fiber and somehow waterproofing it.
I saw a bolt of oiled canvas yesterday (the cotton canvas that is used to
make those australian jackets or english barbour jackets).
 Question: does anyone know what traditionally the oil is that is used to
impregnate this cotton canvas?
    Secondly would one want to surrond ones "tent" with it if one was
concerned with their health? Is it highly flammable?
One thought was the first layer on the yurt could be the tightest weave of
canvas be it hemp or flax/linen or organic cotton. The second layer could be
this waterproofed oiled canvas.

Any thoughts?
Thank you kindly for your input

"
The high,
the low
all of creation,
God gives to humankind to use. If this privelege is misused,
God's Justice permits creation to punish humanity.

Hildegard of Bingen
"

Michael Hollihn,
Sustainable Forest-Farm-Garden Design
Ecosystem Mapping For Sustainable Production of foods and materials,
I use tree-free paper and digital video documentation
yaya@telus.net
604.253.2536
http://www3.telus.net/circleworks/sustmed2.htm
Vancouver, BC, Canada
*better known as NW Coastal Turtle Island