grey water filtration?

hi, Group.
i'm looking for ideas for a grey water filtration
system adequate enough to handle at most 120 gallons
(450 l) per week.  the harshest product we send down
the drain is dish detergent and laundry detergent.
ideally we would like to drink the water, but only if
the necessary system is not too complex.  i've been
thinking of using gravel and sand, but no bog plants.
i'd like some opinions on the size of the filter
required and also on the merits of using plants versus
just an inorganic filter.

[we live in a dry mediteranean climate (central
california); ground water contamination is not an
issue; most likely the water would just be used in the
garden.]

thanks for any input.

stephan.