Re: Just a few holes in the Permaculture suit?

----------
> Hi Ian, Neil and other participants...
> Can I add a comment or two in your discussion below....

> > I liked Neil's point:
> >> Could someone tell me to what extent has the use of Mandala Gardens,
> Keyhole
> > Gardens and Herb Spirals contributed to the home gardeners food
production
> in
> > Australia?
>
> It's good to know that you're not alone. For some years I have asked
myself
> and others around me about the productivity of mandala gardens, keyhole
beds
> and herb spirals.
>
> To my knowledge, there have been no experiments comparing any of these
> things to a conventional, shall we say - rectangular - garden for growing
> vegetables or herbs. Unfortunately, I do not have the space to do the
> experiments. The assertion that these devices are more effective in
> producing food appears to have been taken at face value. Would be good to
> see figures from a properly conducted experiment.

Thanks Russ, for adding to our group learning.

I asked the question regards the extent of use of the permaculture concepts
of
Herb Spirals, Mandalas and such because I believe that if the concepts were
delivered in the PDC's along with an understanding of how to establish and
maintain
productive low maintenence gardens then the concepts would go forth and
multiply,
example being the greatest teacher.

Conversly, if the Mandala's, Keyholes, Herb Spirals etc that are uniquely
PC haven't
been delivered with the necessary knowledge to establish and maintain low
imput gardens
then examples would be hard to find.

How many of these are out there amongst those gardening for produce rather
than
those of us that would have to accept that their motivation is partly
religious/missionary zeal?

Mandala's, Keyholes, Herb Spirals give room for artistic flair which could
bring them into backyards
where food otherwise wouldn't be grown.

Neil Barraclough