GBlist: Foamular

Bruce Sullivan (sullivan@crest.org)
Wed, 12 Feb 97 12:59:04 -0700

Posted by Bruce S., due to some technical problem:

From: loren@cstone.net (Loren Abraham)

It is almost a certainty that ALL foamed insulation products outgas a
variety of organic compounds. In my opinion the compounds which are
outgassed by styrene products ar less offensive (and less harmful) than
polyisocyanurates. mid (methyl isocyanurate) which is the catalyst is a
close relative relative of mic (methyl isocyanate) of Bhopal fame and
although less unstable is still very toxic and easily absorbed through th
skin. It is not safe to handle poly isocyanurates until totally
*cross-linked*. Other things can be outgassed as well. I would really
like
to hear Hal Levin comment on the relative safety of polystyrene and poly
isocyanurate foam board. In any case PLEASE do not mess with foamed in
place poly-iso insulation products. These chemicals should never be taken
out of a carefully controlled manufacturing environment and in my opinion
are not safe in any environment. The idea of adding normal casein glue to
blown in cellulose sounds rather nifty to me. Hal?