Re: GBlist: Below Grade EPS (was re: Recycled XPS)

Woof! I was just kidding about the "as I recall" part--most of the time I
can't remember where my car keys are, let alone zillions of specs!

We also have seen many houses and commercial buildings built with EPS under
the slab, with no known deterioration from freeze/thaw.

Admittedly, we don't have that much of a problem with termites. Our local
pesky critter is the carpenter ant, which will chew through EPS unless it's
the borate-treated type. In a way, carpenter ants are helpful, because they
are an indicator that there's moist wood someplace--sort of an early
warning system for dry rot problems. When you see carpenter ants, you know
it's time to check for leaks.

For a time in the 80's, we could buy fiberglass insulation boards that were
part of the Warm-N-Dry/Tough-N-Dry basement waterproofing system
(fiberglass boards plus elastomeric sheet). Seems like fiberglass would be
termite-proof. Are rigid fiberglass boards still available?

Mike

O'Brien & Associates
Environmental Building Consultants
Portland General Electric Earth Smart program
obrien@hevanet.com