Re: GBlist: Masonry wall insulation -Reply

I wonder if the description of the masonry wall insulation in Home Energy
might have left out a couple of important details--so, just in case, allow
me to restate the obvious: the wet-spray insulation should dry out before
it is covered, so it doesn't end up growing mold. There should be a
continuous vapor retarder, such as clear poly sheet, installed over the
insulation. The drywall should be mudded or caulked to stop air leaks, at
penetrations like pipes, outlet boxes, air conditioners etc., and along the
bottom plates.

Auntie Mike

>The March/April "Home Energy" magazine highlights retrofits to apartment
>buildings in
>Chicago, including adding insulation to the interior of masonry wall.
>They used 2x4
>studs held back about 1+ inch from the wall (to accomodate the usually
>uneven surface
>and provide room for more insulation) and then used wet-spray cellulose
>and drywall.

><snip>
>        The building is relatively uninsulated and I am fairly certain there
>is very little insulation on the exterior walls of the building.  So my
>question is what are some of the alternatives to foam board insulation and
>sheetrock to insulate and finish the interior of the building.
><snip>

O'Brien & Associates
Environmental Building Consultants
Portland General Electric Earth Smart program
obrien@hevanet.com