Re: GBlist: Masonry wall insulation

John:

Thanks for the information. I hadn't realized that any cellulose insulation
manufacturers were still using aluminum sulfate. Are you sure this isn't
ammonium sulfate? I was under the impression that aluminum sulfate caused
corrosion problems (with nails, screws, truss plates, etc.). Does anyone
else know about use of aluminum sulfate in cellulose, or have experience
with corrosion? I am also skeptical of the claimed insulating value (R-4.5
per inch). More typical for cellulose is R-3.5 to R-3.8 per inch.

Alex Wilson
Environmental Building News