GBlist: RE: HEPA filters/central vacs

John Bower wrote:
>The more-efficient portable vacuums (HEPA or water) are fairly
expensive. If anyone is considering such an expenditure, I'd highly
recommend looking into a central unit. They are often in the same price
range, much more convenient, and most have an outdoor exhaust.

Could someone please explain the benefits of a central unit?  It seems to
me, even though they may be very powerful, that there would be alot of
dust, dust mites, and possible mold growth in the vacuum pipes that snake
through the walls to the central unit.  May be I don't understand how they
are installed and what the pipes are made of.  Is there no possibility of a
hole or leak in them where allergens could escape?

Penny Linke