Re: GBlist: recycled water standards

Hi, Matthew--

Have you seen the State of California's "Graywater Guide"? It includes the
state  graywater standards. I don't see any mention in the standard of
meeting a coliform count--rather, the standard says the graywater cannot be
applied to vegetable gardens.

You can order the guide from California Department of Water Resources. PO
Box 942836, Sacramento, CA 94236 or call Marsha Prillwitz at CDWR
(916)327-1620 (as of 1994, anyway).

Mike

>Proposals are currently being proposed in the UK for water quality standards
>for recycled systems (greywater use for toilet flushing ). At present the
>only standards are for drinking water.
>
>Does anyone have information on standards adopted in other parts of the globe
>for water restricted to certain uses , such as toilet flushing or garden
>watering ?
>
>Footnote; There is some debate about whether the zero level for coliform
>counts (especially faecal coliform) that is usually adopted for drinking
>water should be used for such systems. Standards in Europe for bathing water
>at the seaside allow for 2000 count/100ml, for example, & I understand that
>some Australian authorities allow a small coliform count for such systems,
>whilst California is quite strict on irrigation water quality for edible
>crops.  The debate tends to centre around the "what if a young child decides
>to take a drink from the toilet bowl senario"...
>
>Matthew Hill
>
>Leeds Environmental Design Associates.

O'Brien & Associates
Environmental Building Consultants
Portland General Electric Earth Smart program
obrien@hevanet.com