Re: GBlist: Recycled XPS

<<Dear Craig,

How would a concrete form structure using EPS below grade hold up?

My assumption is that once the termites made it through the outside foam
layer borate additives or not, they'd come into the concrete and at
worst  you'd lose the EPS foam below grade around the structure.

My concern is, am I now dealing with exposed concrete below grade, no
sealer, and capable of suffering moisture/water damage?

Any comments appreciated.

Hi,

Hope this is of some use.  My experience with termites and foam is a bit
limited, but I do know that the termites are interested in a
sunlight-sheltered path to the wood in the upper portion of the house, not
the foam itself.  They would tunnel from the soil, through the foam, into the
sill, joists and deck materials.  They are apparently able to digest wood
because of a commensal relationship with an intestinal fungi.  Carpenter ants
cannot digest the wood or the foam, but need to nest in staurated wood so
their eggs don't dry out.  I have seen carpenter ants and termites tunneling
in below grade foams of all types.  Yes, I believe you wpold have some below
grade concrete with impaired moisture protection, but it would only be one
steo towards the cliff of water damage.  You'd need a few others in
combination with it, like defects in the drainage layer, footing drains or
rain cap. - Terry