GBlist: Automoblie tire disposal

Hi, all:

I heard today of a process that is being put into effect soon in
Michigan for disposing of tires, where the tires are fed into a gas
furnace thing and heated a certain amount, then the butane and
methanol that they give off is captured and used for fuel to help get
the heating process to 3000 degrees.  This apparently breaks down the
tire, or vaporizes it, and what is left, is "siphoned off" at various
points - the oil, steel, and zinc ash, and one other thing I can't
remember, and all of those things are then recycled.

Michigan has apparently approved a 10 acre site at Point Munro for
the plant and given them a 50 year lease with the option of renewal,
and NYS is ready to copy if the MI facility works as planned.

Will this really work, or are we, across the lake going to get fumed
to death?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Marilyn
Today when I throw away a musical birthday card, I
am tossing out more computer power than existed in
the whole world before 1948
Denis Whatley in Empires of the Mind